Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Exploring alone...

Today was Brad's first day of school with his 2nd grade boys. Being that I do not yet have employment, I decided to go out and explore. I did not venture too far away from the hotel, I was alone- and that's HUGE. I made it to the same area that our apartment is in and acquainted myself with the ridiculously expensive shops (no, I did not spend any money) and found the train station that we will be using as well.

It was nice to be able to go at my own pace and take in the people around me, listen to my iPod, and browse around all the shops. It is amazing to watch how the people in this city work. They are very perceptive and it is quite noticeable when they are checking you over, trying to find out what you're all about. Women do this more than men, which is not much different from other countries I suppose.

There is a large mall, Takashimaya, where I wandered around for a while today. They have stores like Chanel, Prada, Louis Vitton, etc, and an amazing basement level full of little food places. I walked around there for about half an hour just oggling all of the beautiful food. It is all quite expensive, but a nice place to go if you're feeling a little down and need a small treat.
There is a pet store across the street from our apartment as well. I decided to go look through the glass at the puppies and totally fell in love with all of them. No surprise there.

All in all today was great and I look forward to getting used to more of the city as time goes on.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are having a good time in Japan Rachael! Its scary moving to a new place where you know no one, and you husband has a job and your yet to get one. I was kinda in the same boat when we went to Fargo, ND but that was only 300 miles from home, you are so brave to be across the world! I give it to you guys, your both amazing for going out on this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael,
    Don't you dare go to that pet store and fall in love with a puppy! If you get lonely for Callie, just let me know and I'll send a video and pictures for you. She'll be waiting for you when you return to the U.S.....well maybe...that is if we want to give her back..ha.ha. The blogsite is great and thank you both for taking the time to write and put the pictures on it. It helps ease the pain of you being so far away. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for Brad & Rachael here...