Friday, October 3, 2008

Take my gomi!

Well, it's a beautiful, cool, sunny Saturday morning, and I've been catching up and reading the news around the world while Rachael gets some ZZZZZZs.

However, a few minutes ago, outside my open window I heard the clanking of the trash truck downstairs. So I threw on some pajamas, slipped on my slip-on shoes (important in Japan), took out the bag from the top half of our two-part trash can, and ran down four flights of stairs, tying the stinking (literally) bag as I ran.

When I got out to our front gate, the truck was passing. I started waving and they all began laughing heartily inside the truck. One of them leaned out the window and yelled, surprisingly, "Throw it in the back." So, I started running alongside them (in my red plaid pajamas and t-shirt), and tossed the putrid bag in the back of the open section of the truck.

What a relief.

Keeping all your food scraps, paper, egg shells, and coffee grounds in one can makes for a smelly can after a few days, so missing trash day is not an option unless you want your kitchen to smell like a mixture of sweaty feet and rancid potato.

What a great way to start the day. We'll be heading to the bank soon, since Japanese banks close at 3:00pm on weekdays and we have to pay our rent for the month through the account. After that, there's a huge carnival/festival at our sister school, Seisen. Following some food and fun, we're going shopping for a few more home furnishings at our favorite store, Nitori. Since we only have about $100 each month for these purchases, our apartment is still simple, but will improve bit by bit, on a monthly basis this year.

Rachael is still working on her Master's and has a 2,000 word essay due in the morning, so we probably won't make it out for karaoke tonight. BUT, we are going out for Mexican food, margaritas and bull-riding tomorrow night. Should be awesome.

Have a great Saturday...when you get there...tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for Brad & Rachael here...