Sunday, March 15, 2009

Coats in Tokyo

I think I've discovered a secret Tokyo-Japanese obsession.

Clean coats.

Compared to anywhere else I've lived before, people in Tokyo tend to dress very well, and care a great deal about the smallest details of their daily fashion statements. Shoes are polished and perfectly coordinated with whatever they're wearing. Young men and women both use mirrors, train windows, and cell phone cameras to constantly readjust stray strands of hair.

But the coats. The coats!

If I wouldn't be pegged as a creepy stalker, I'd take a photo of everyone I pass on the street or the train, and you could see this secret obsession with keeping coats in mint condition.

Unwrinkled. De-linted. Unstained.

I have no idea how they do it, but it is fun to watch. Today Rachael and I both laughed as we actually noticed that a guy on the train had a tiny piece of white lint on his black cashmere coat. If you come visit and don't want to stand out like a sore thumb, make sure you've had your coat in for a thorough professional cleaning within the last two and half to three hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for Brad & Rachael here...