Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Power of Music- Billy Mac style.

Today I decided that while my students were working, I would try to keep things low key by playing some music. Brad always plays Billy McLaughlin in his classroom, so I decided to try the same thing. For my first graders this afternoon, I tried to get them really interested in listening to the music. I told them that they were allowed to listen to music while they worked as long as they were really quiet. They were allowed to whisper. I told them (in a whispering voice) that they would be listening to a friend of mine from Minnesota who plays guitar. I continued (whispering) telling them that they "had to whisper", and all 20 students replied, in a whisper, with, "OK". Miraculously, they remained very calm for the rest of the class period and thoroughly enjoyed the music.
The sixth grade ESL students also really enjoyed the music. One of them commented that it was "So nice and relaxing".

Not that any more proof was needed, but Billy McLaughlin's music is truly amazing and touches people of all ages. It is so fun to watch the kids creating their art while listening to great music. I love my job.

Check him out at: http://www.billymacmusic.com/

1 comment:

  1. Rachael,
    Music can reach right into the heart. It's nice that your students are enjoying some music from back home. That's good for ALL of you! Glad you love your job and have fun.
    Love,
    MAA White

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for Brad & Rachael here...